In This Section:
- Before You Buy
- "How To" Video Library
- In-Stock vs. Special Order
- Anatomy of a Door
- Stairway Anatomies
- Home Center Color Match Info
- Exterior Doors
- Interior Doors
- Storm Doors
- Commercial Doors
- Energy Star®
- Milliken's Green Initiatives
- Product Spotlight
- Product Test Data
- NFRC/Energy Star Labels
- Product Warranties
- Glossary of Terms
Before You Buy
Please review the following information before buying a quality entry system from Milliken Millwork Inc:
Testing (PDF Download)
You deserve to know what you are buying when you specify a door unit from Milliken Millwork Inc. Our door units have undergone extensive testing to exceed standards established by the three major building code agencies in the United States:
- IRC - International Residential Code - This is the primary code used for one and two family residential dwellings.
- IBC - International Building Code - This is commonly regarded as a light commercial code but is also used for residential dwellings in certain geographies.
- HUD - Housing and Urban Development - The governing code for the manufactured and modular home segment.
Even though these tests are not required in our market area, Milliken Millwork proceeded, voluntarily, to insure that our units perform beyond current requirements. We are certified by all three agencies and became an Energy Star Partner in 2006. Each unit passes through strict internal quality control checks every day.
MSystem (PDF Download)
Your entry door gets all the compliments but the system around it gives you peace of mind. Our system, the MSystem, consists of the highest quality components designed and constructed to work together. The end result is an efficient door unit that looks great and performs even greater.
We have scores of door choices but only one system—the MSystem. Any steel or fiberglass door you choose fits into the MSystem. System component upgrades are available but they fit together the same way every time. Whether you buy a single prehung door unit, a door unit with sidelites or a double door/patio door, the concept stays the same—you receive a system of components, all designed to work together and deliver maximum performance—the MSystem.
Application (PDF Download)
This is the most important step in your new entry system selection process! Protecting it properly can lower maintenance, improve performance and extend the life of your new entry system. Key factors to consider before you buy:
- Exposure - Doors facing south or west receive the most sun and require the most protection. Dark colors and/or storm doors can be harmful in these applications if not protected by a six to eight foot overhang.
- Overhang - Every door (Entry, Patio or French) needs protection to perform properly and extend it's life. The more exposure to elements, the larger the overhang. Please refer to our Application page for details.
- Color Choice - Your choice of colors are also dictated by exposure. Light colors reflect heat and dark colors absorb heat. Please use caution in this area.
- Storm Doors - Storm doors can be helpful in the right application and harmful in the wrong one. Heat build up behind a storm door can exceed 120 degrees in some exposures and damage your new entry system. Please exercise caution when choosing a storm door.
Please review our Application document thoroughly to insure years of maximum performance and protection.
Installation (PDF Download)
All codes, standards and test results require our products to be installed according to Milliken Millwork Inc. installation instructions. It is imperative for ultimate performance and warranty activation. Protect your investment and follow the instructions—it will provide years of satisfying performance.
Finishing (PDF Download)
This is a very critical step to insure long term performance. An improper finish, especially on wood or wood related components, can lead to major problems in a short amount of time. Even if you choose a steel or fiberglass door unit, many components (especially the frame) can be made of wood or wood composite. It is imperative that they be finished according to the paint manufacturer’s instructions and that you remember these basic, but important steps:
- Clean and prep all surfaces as recommended.
- Completely cover all sides/surfaces evenly and with the same number of coats.
- Make sure the final top coat meets the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Do not use dark colors or storm doors on door units with high exposure to the sun.
Milliken Millwork Inc. offers Prefinishing services on our steel and fiberglass door units for your convenience. See our Prefinishing section for color selection and details.
Care and Maintenance We live in a maintenance free world today but your new entry system requires some general care and maintenance to insure years of optimum performance. Our recommendations include:
Refinishing – Natural elements (wind, water, sun) can erode any paint or stain finishes based on the degree of exposure. Color fading is the most obvious sign that the finish coat is deteriorating. The frequency of refinishing varies by the exposure and can range from 1 to 5 years. Extensive damage can occur if the situation is left unattended. Protect your investment and inspect it annually.
Caulking – Caulking keeps the elements (wind, water) from entering your home above, under or around your new entry unit. But it is subject to natural elements as well. Annual inspections for cracking or failing are recommended. Problems should be immediately addressed.
Weatherstrip, door bottom sweeps and corner seals – extension cords, furniture or even busy people passing through your new entry unit can damage certain components unintentionally. Replacement parts are easy to source from Milliken Millwork Inc., make this part of your annual inspection as well.
These simple steps can make or break a top quality entry system. Not just ours--anyone's. You deserve decades of performance with a new entry system from Milliken Millwork Inc. Protect your investment and make the right choices.
To view our Plastpro Fiberglass Door Warranty, please click here.
To view our Builders Choice Steel Door Warranty, please click here.
To view our Majestic Steel Door Warranty, please click here.
To view our Interior Door Warranty, please click here.
Milliken Millwork wants you to experience decades of quality performance from your new entry system. Please follow these guidelines to protect your investment.